Citizens for a Livable Cranbrook Society provides grassroots leadership and an inclusive process, with a voice for all community members, to ensure that our community grows and develops in a way that incorporates an environmental ethic, offers a range of housing and transportation choices, encourages a vibrant and cultural life and supports sustainable, meaningful employment and business opportunities.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Planet Care All Year

April 22nd, Earth Day marks the day around which many environmentally oriented activities take place but we all know every day needs to be Earth’s Day. This last week has seen many people out in Cranbrook, pitching in and removing the collection of winter’s garbage. It would be a wonderful day if after the snow melts there was no need for this activity. The topic of Safe Lawns was discussed this week and the movie ‘A Chemical Reaction’ was shown at the College of the Rockies. Trash to Treasure Day is today. All these small activities help to remind us how important it is to think about and care for this planet, which sustains us.

One new habit for my household this year has been curbside recycling and although I have always thought I did a pretty good job of sorting and collecting my recyclables, having this service has made a huge difference to how I think about every box, piece of plastic, tin and glass container. It is so much easier now to put them all in the blue bin. They are removed from my curbside every week and sorted for me. So between my home compost and my recycling service, my one garbage can now only gets put out less than once a month. Cranbrook has a choice of curbside recycling businesses and my year’s service fee was a gift last Christmas from my children – it was a great gift and I truly appreciate it every week.

Members of Rocky Mountain Naturalists, Streamkeepers and Citizens for a Livable Cranbrook were out cleaning up Joseph Creek this past week.





1 comment:

  1. Thanks to those civic-minded citizens of all ages who cleaned up the creek and other areas in our community as part of Earth Week activities. Pity some people don't make the effort to clean up their own mess.

    ReplyDelete