Citizens for a Livable Cranbrook Society provides grassroots leadership and an inclusive process, with a voice for all community members, to ensure that our community grows and develops in a way that incorporates an environmental ethic, offers a range of housing and transportation choices, encourages a vibrant and cultural life and supports sustainable, meaningful employment and business opportunities.

Friday, November 8, 2013

Michael's Musings

Every day is Remembrance Day

By Michael J Morris


For the first time in my life, I will not be in Canada for Remembrance Day as I am visiting friends in Orlando, Florida.

However, on my trip here while waiting for my flight at George W Bush International Airport in Houston, Texas, I experienced a most touching moment.

As those who travel on commercial airlines  in the United States know, American military personnel in uniform are given priority when it comes to boarding flights, and such was the case as I waited in line for my flight to be called.

The airline representative invited military personnel to board first and two young soldiers came forward, and suddenly, spontaneously, the more than 150 people waiting to board the flight broke into a round of sustained applause to show their respect to them.

I don't know if this is common practice in  the United States but I was sure impressed, and immediately thought about our Remembrance Day on November 11.

For as long as I can remember I have attended Remembrance Day ceremonies wherever I have been living to pay my respects to those who made the Supreme Sacrifice for us.

It is special day for me to pause, reflect and remember, although my mother Muriel E Morris always told me that "Every day is Remembrance Day," Her husband, my father, Flying Officer James E Morris, was killed while on active service in the RCAF on July 16, 1943 during World War II.

My grandfather, Harry Morris served in World War I and his brother was killed in action. Two other great-uncles, my grandmother's brothers also served in World War I.

This year my special Remembrance Day moment was experienced outside Canada as those two young men, soldiers in the ranks, were applauded by their fellow citizens for serving their country.  In the United States, it is Veterans' Day on November 11.

"They shall not grow old,
As we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them
Nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun
and in the morning
We will remember them."

No comments:

Post a Comment