Citizens for a Livable Cranbrook Society provides grassroots leadership and an inclusive process, with a voice for all community members, to ensure that our community grows and develops in a way that incorporates an environmental ethic, offers a range of housing and transportation choices, encourages a vibrant and cultural life and supports sustainable, meaningful employment and business opportunities.

Friday, January 24, 2014

Michael's Musings

Snow on city sidewalks hazardous for everyone in Cranbrook 

By Michael J Morris

While I like to deny that I have entered into the Winter of my years, in one respect at least, I guess I am getting there. For the first time since arriving in Cranbrook 24 and a half years ago, this Winter, on occasion, I have been accepting rides from friends.

I really did not want to accept this kindness, but the snow covered icy state of the city sidewalks left me with little choice, if I did not want to simply hibernate for the Winter. 

But I have not surrendered completely as I continue to go for a walk each day, and along the way, share with fellow walkers, comments such as "deplorable", "dangerous", "disgusting" and  "treacherous" as we baby step our way, looking for the safest route. 

One morning I chatted at an intersection with a lady, perhaps a bit younger than me who had plotted her route to the superstores, and she gave me the complete details -- the safest route to walk. And she was serious!

I know the city has a bylaw that requires sidewalks considered not public to be cleared, but quite frankly, in many parts of Cranbrook, that is a joke, and I sure don't see any evidence that any attempt is made to enforce it.

In a research report in 2008, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, 'Smart Growth, Livable and Sustainable Communities for Seniors', found that most Canadian communities have made minimal progress in achieving smart growth and livable growth. And that is despite the fact that within 12 years Canadians 55 and over will account for 35% of the population -- doubling the size of the current 55 plus population.

In a section on Neighbourhood Walkability, it notes that "Smart growth streetscape planning for seniors must include attention to small details, such as the availability of sidewalks in good repair and resting places along pedestrian routes, which, in combination, have significant impacts on the ability of older residents to take advantage of pedestrian routes. 

"Planning for walkable communities is an important component in allowing seniors to live independently. Design plans that feature walkability create safe environments for seniors, facilitate community engagement, reduce feelings of isolation, and promote active lifestyles – all  of which are essential for successful aging in place."

One of those "small details" assuredly includes ensuring that the sidewalks are safe in the Winter months -- and while I have focused on Seniors because I happen to be in that demographic group, the safety of all citizens who venture out should be a paramount concern of the municipal council.

I wondered what other communities were doing and discovered that the city of Edmonton, Alberta, has a community standards bylaw.

In an introduction on its web site it states: "Snow that remains on sidewalks is hazardous for everyone, but especially for people with limited mobility who may be severely injured from a fall on ice or snow. Uncleared walkways also make it difficult for people who deliver services in our city - mail carriers, meter readers, delivery drivers, firefighters, and paramedics."

Citizens in Edmonton, like Cranbrook are required to remove snow, but interestingly, there, if one wishes to make a complaint a phone number is available, or an online form may be completed. Upon investigation, a citizen may be warned to fix it, fined or billed for the sidewalk clearing.

Perhaps in this municipal election year, council members seeking re-election will find time to address the "small detail" of improving snow removal from city sidewalks. Thanks to my friends who have provided me rides, but I really do prefer to walk.

 My email is mj.morris@live.ca

Full disclosure: I am not now and never have been a member of the Citizens for a Livable Cranbrook Society; however, I did conduct a workshop for its members for which I was paid.

6 comments:

  1. ERRATA! I am advised that the city of Cranbrook does not have a bylaw as I stated re snow removal.I stand corrected. Apparently it is an "expectation". I suggest a bylaw like Edmonton has may be in order. I was told this morning that Calgary also has one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite my bylaw error, I appreciate all the comments received on the sidewalk issue from Cranbrook and elsewhere. The message is clear, at least from all of you, to municipal councils - find a reasonable solution and make it work. I recommend that concerns and suggestions be sent to your mayor/council. Also, one Cranbrook councillor contacted me and we have arranged to meet for coffee. Much appreciated. To my friend Raoul: I am wearing cleats on my boots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sympathize with all citizens as they try to negotiate our city sidewalks, intersections, etc. I recently attended a Kootenay Ice Hockey game and paid my $ 2.00 for parking at WFP. There was as much ice on that parking lot as their was inside Western Financial Place. I firmly believe that maintenance of city infrastructure rests with the city itself. I will be watching council deliberations very carefully, more so than usual, as to how they decide to deal with this issue. Great of you Mike to bring this to the attention of many. We shall discuss over lunch in the great city to the north very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently read the editorial as it appeared on this blog. I find the comment " common decency lacking in some " quite offensive. As a property owner, and a large boulevard ( grassed ) around my property, I have fertilized, watered and maintained this for 20 years. May I also mention that I have shovelled off dog extrement for dog owners who are lacking common decency. Because I am opposed to a bylaw requiring someone my age, to have to shovel municipal owned property I am perceived by the writer to be lacking common decency.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr Plonka – There is currently no bylaw enforcing you to clear your sidewalk. It is an expectation that sidewalks around private properties will be cleared. The City has been asked by many to consider a bylaw and I expressed concern that a bylaw would be difficult to enforce and should not be necessary. I maintain common decency is what we should expect and that includes the decency of good neighbourliness. Just as I would expect a person to give their seat to a more senior person when necessary, I would expect neighbours to pitch in and clear our elder’s sidewalks. To me that is common decency. It happens in my neighbourhood all the time. Hip replacements, knee replacements, sore backs – all see the neighbours racing over with snow blowers or shovels to help out. These acts of kindness are frequently repaid with thanks and treats sometimes – it is what makes a valuable neighbourhood and it saddens me to think it is not present everywhere.

    Jenny Humphrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A war of words, this will not become. I have stated my position very clearly - City property, City Responsibility. That is as easy to understand as it can be. End of story for me.

      Delete