Citizens for a Livable Cranbrook Society provides grassroots leadership and an inclusive process, with a voice for all community members, to ensure that our community grows and develops in a way that incorporates an environmental ethic, offers a range of housing and transportation choices, encourages a vibrant and cultural life and supports sustainable, meaningful employment and business opportunities.

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Climate Scientist Who Does not Fly, Peter Kalmus

'I'm a Climate Scientist Who Doesn't Fly'

It took three years to quit air travel. Here's one man's carbon-cutting journey.
By Peter Kalmus, 17 Feb 2016, YES! Magazine


I'm a climate scientist who doesn't fly. I try to avoid burning fossil fuels, because it's clear that doing so causes real harm to humans and to nonhumans, today and far into the future. I don't like harming others, so I don't fly. Back in 2010, though, I was awash in cognitive dissonance. My awareness of global warming had risen to a fever pitch, but I hadn't yet made real changes to my daily life. This disconnect made me feel panicked and disempowered.
Then one evening in 2011, I gathered my utility bills and did some Internet research. I looked up the amounts of carbon dioxide emitted by burning a gallon of gasoline and a therm (about 100 cubic feet) of natural gas, I found an estimate for emissions from producing the food for a typical American diet and an estimate for generating a kilowatt hour of electricity in California, and I averaged the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and Environmental Protection Agency estimates for CO2 emissions per mile from flying. With these data, I made a basic pie chart of my personal greenhouse gas emissions for 2010.

 To read the complete article, go to the link above.

No comments:

Post a Comment